Diversion

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

AAPL - Rolling Out and Up

Last week I rolled the AAPL position out from August to September, and up from a $95 strike price to a $97.50 strike price.  When I established the position back in June, I expected that I would just work with it on weeklies and then have the position called away quickly, but it has turned out to be more of a mid-term opportunity, now forecast to run three months or so.

And that’s okay by me – if the position goes the distance to the September contract, it will wind up as a hat trick, with earnings from call premiums, dividends, and a stock gain.  It also will have generated a 6% return over just about 90 days, which works out to 26% annualized – far exceeding my goals for a 12% annualized return.

Here’s the analysis of the position, net of fees and commissions, and assuming I collect dividends through the September expiration.

AAPL

This is a 100-share position acquired post-split, with a basis of $9,380.99, or $93.81 per share.  I was selling $95 strikes and rolling them weekly, then monthly, before the roll-up to $97.50.

Total covered call premiums:  $211.46
Total dividend payments (August ex-dividend):  $47.00
Total stock gain at $97.50:  $351.01
Total, absolute gain on the position:  $609.47
Total, absolute return percentage ($609.47/$9,380.99):  6.50%


Annualized total return percentage (held approx 91 days):  26.06%

No comments:

Post a Comment