Diversion

Monday, January 13, 2014

Rolling Out ABT and CRUS

We had an erratic trading week with a couple of down days and a couple of up days – that turned out to be a perfect opportunity for me to have a look at rolling out to more Rescue My IRA positions after I had taken care of KO:  ABT and CRUS.

The ABT position was constructed with the goal of capitalizing on a dividend run.  This year I am trying to add a Bollinger band analysis to my stock selection criteria (when I have figured out how I am going to use this routinely, I’ll add a post), and ABT was the first contract that used the new routine.  It appeared that from the basis near $37, a run to $38 was possible, and with the ex-dividend date coming up during the contract period, everything seemed to come together for the trade.

On CRUS, I took a flyer on a 200-share position – low committed capital – and an S&P 3-star stock with no dividend, where I would normally limit my selections to 4- or 5-star stocks that pay from two to five percent annually.  There was enough volatility that I thought I could generate a good return with an in-the-money covered call using the weeklies, and so far I’ve been right. 

Here’s the analysis of the positions, net of fees and commissions and assuming I collect the dividend for ABT.

ABT

The ABT position consists of 300 shares, with a total basis of $11,110.00, or $37.03 per share.  I began by selling a January $38, and just rolled out to February.  If the position works out according to plan, I will have a hat trick of covered call, dividend, and stock gain returns.       

Total covered call premiums:  $264.73
Total dividend payments (including the forecast January ex-dividend):  $66.00
Total stock gain at $38:  $272.89
Total, absolute gain on the position:  $603.82
Total, absolute return percentage ($603.82/$11,110.00):  5.43%
Annualized total return percentage (held approx 50 days):  39.66%

CRUS

As I mentioned, the CRUS trade was meant to be a quick-turn position with a small amount invested.  The position consists of 200 shares, with a total basis of $4,017.00, or $20.09 per share.  I began by selling a January week 3 $20 and just rolled it to week 4.         

Total covered call premiums:  $211.47
Total dividend payments (no dividend on CRUS):  $0.00
Total stock gain at $20:  -$34.11
Total, absolute gain on the position:  $177.36
Total, absolute return percentage ($177.36/$4,017.00):  4.42%

Annualized total return percentage (held 22 days):  73.25%

No comments:

Post a Comment